That's just me though.
What fiendish thing could cause it, you ask? The dreaded writer's block.
Yeah, I know "Gee Steve, there is no way I could have figured that one out!"
For me, they all fit into a three categories.
1) "Shit, I have to go back and rewrite a large portion, but it's a pain in the ass".
Generally I get these when I realize that I've written myself into a corner or the results of what I am writing are very stupid. I'm told that I writer in a very strange way, from beginning to end (I'd like to say it helps me keep my story straight, but really, I have no idea how else to do it). These are the most malevolent. I hate backtracking so much that they are almost guaranteed to kill a story.
2) "I know what's supposed to happen, but how do I pull it off elegantly/without derailing the characters?"
An example:
Secretly Good Wizard has come to propose releasing one hostage in exchange for another hostage. The heroes dislike the idea and want to get back their hostage and not have to give him another one in return. I have to A) have them plan it well, B) have the wizard succeed anyways, C) have the heroes take a hostage of their own (it's a very complicated story), and D) have the wizard reveal himself to be not so much of a douche. Oh, and it's an action scene.
3)"I've gotten so ahead of myself the plot element just looks tacked on".
I'm at this one right now. I described my world, developed the opening characters pretty well, and then came the plot. Main character gets a letter bidding she do a task for Obvious Minor Villain so she can be absent while the Big Setup rides in under the cover of night. The letter comes out of nowhere, it's all like "Oh! Mail's here! You got a letter!"
4) "Wait a second, this whole book is stupid! Why am I writing this? I should just get some cheese and like, watch reruns of Burn Notice or something. The cheese is the most important part!"
I think I'm going over. I'll get to the others later.
No comments:
Post a Comment